Thursday, December 13, 2007

26 weeks

The last week of my second trimester. I'm up a total of 7 pounds now. Quite the gain from last week, but totally fine overall. And we did have my office holiday party yesterday. Funny enough, eating a ton of cookies during the day resulted in no heartburn at night. I wonder if there is really a connection and if I can justify a diet that consists mostly of cookies and candy. :) I'm going to guess no, but it is a nice fantasy for a moment. I saw online that most people are in the 20-23 pounds gained range at this point so I don't feel so upset at going from 4 pounds to 7 pounds.

The lack of sleep really seems to be getting to me. Last night I had a dream that I slept until 8.45am. That meant Julian was late for school, but I felt good about the uninterrupted sleeping. It was, of course, just a dream. I woke up before my alarm to find the cat snuggled closely up against me and Max. This is highly unusual behaviour for Chloe who tends to sleep at my feet, at Mark's feet, or in the middle of the bed down where our feet go.

During this week I also had some fine moments such as pouring water over the Christmas presents because I was unable to focus enough to control both sides of my body independently. I also announced in a meeting with all of the managers that something was going to take 9 months instead of 90 days. They were all laughing and I didn't know why. My boss clued me in to my mis-statement and one of my work buddies chimed in to mention that it was really 10 months. :) During our holiday party she also mentioned the Amby Baby Hammock and said it is a fantastic thing that helps to mimic the feeling of being in the womb. If anyone knows anything about it, let me know. We are definitely looking into it...

My knitting friend Tammi (expecting twins around the same time we are expecting Max) sent us a big box of goodies for the baby. She included the Baby Einstein Baby Beethoven/Bach double cd so I have been playing that when I am in the kitchen. The kids seem to like it. And the theory is that now Max can hear it, he should equate the sound of the music to the relaxing feeling of being in the womb. If nothing else I am enjoying it and finding it relaxing for myself. Much better than the sound of Dora the Explorer. :) Julian did ask me yesterday if Max would feel relaxed if he was playing his Queen Greatest Hits cd. I said not so much.

And here's the updates for week 26...

http://www.maternityandbabyshoppingmart.com/pregnancy_week_26.html
Your Baby's Growth and Development
By pregnancy week 26 your baby may be 12 inches long and weigh closer to two pounds! Your baby's heart is working diligently at pumping blood.
By around 26 weeks pregnant your baby is still practicing many things including breathing. Boy babies sometimes experience a growth spurt around 26 weeks pregnant, when their testicles start descending into their scrotum. This entire process only takes a couple of days.

http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/pregnancy_week_26.htm
How Big is the Baby at 26 Weeks Pregnant?Your baby has put on quite a bit of weight by pregnancy week 26 and is now a whopping 2 pounds (almost). Your baby's crown-to-rump length is about 9-10 inches long, and her total length is about 12 inches during pregnancy 26 weeks! Your baby is now starting to add a little fat to her bones, though she won't start accumulating too much fat until the last few weeks of pregnancy.
Your baby's heart continues to grow and develop during pregnancy at 26 weeks.
In addition to organ maturation throughout the body, your baby's nerve pathways in her ears continue to develop during pregnancy 26 weeks which will allow your baby to respond to sounds more consistently. You might notice your baby jumping more often now to loud noises when you are 26 weeks pregnant. This is a good time to start playing some relaxing music to your little one when you have the chance. Some parents even enjoy reading to their babies during this time. If you haven't considered it, have your partner read to your belly. This will help your baby become more acclimated to the sound of your partner's voice. Believe it or not, one of the first things babies recognize outside the womb besides smell is the sound of your voice, and your partner's voice.
Your baby will continue breathing in amniotic fluid after twenty six weeks pregnant and beyond. Boy babies usually experience a bit of growth during this week, as their testicles begin to descend into the scrotum. This process typically takes between two and three days to complete.

No comments: