Monday, February 4, 2008

Hospital Tour

Yesterday was our tour of Alexandria Hospital. We got back from NC in time to change from the van to my car. After 9+ hours in the car between Saturday and Sunday we were ready for a little change of scenery. :)

The tour was great. We met up near the gift shop and learned how to get from that entrace to the labor and delivery ward (up the elevators and there you are). We were able to see the triage unit (where I had my monitoring done) and the other rooms. The rooms are pretty large and have lots of chairs and a couch for people. The bed is also super adjustable. It can be a flat bed or a chair or a lot of things in between. We also saw the kitchen area (they call it a nourishment center) where they have ice chips and juice and a microwave.

We went up and saw the maternity ward where you have 2-3 days of recovery. We got confirmation that the kids can visit during visitation hours (11am to 8pm) so that is good. And Max will stay in the room with me except for some visits to the nursery for weigh-ins and other monitoring. We also learned where the cafeteria is. :)

One of the areas of concern for me is the parking situation. Mark will have to drop me off at the door and then park the car. Or we can valet park, but then you can't get your car back if the valet service is closed. So we'll have to see when I go into labor and how ok I am at check in time. Or maybe when we call someone and beg for them to bring Mark some taco bell that person can also move Mark's car from the valet parking to the regular lot. :)

When we were doing the tour there were 5 women in labor. We saw no one freaking out. We heard no screams. Everyone seemed very calm and capable. That helps a lot with my stress level. I wouldn't say I am looking forward to giving birth, but I am feeling calmer about it.

I also was able to go to a La Leche League meeting on Saturday morning with Krista and that really helped me feel better about breastfeeding. Delivery is not optional, but breastfeeding is. But because I feel so strongly about wanting to breastfeed, I am focusing on learning as much about that as possible so that I am prepared. It sounds like there are a lot of resources at the hospital to help with getting started, and then the La Leche League and my friends who have successfully breastfed. I know I am not alone and that there are lots of ways for me to get the help I need. That all helps a lot too.

Max seemed to enjoy the Super Bowl. He was his normal super active self. He seems to tolerate the laptop on my lap much more easily than he does me reading a book and resting my hands on my belly. This is good news for me. He still kicks about a bit but he is less distracting than at other times. I have to say that being able to work from home with my feet up on the ottoman is making a huge difference in my ability to continue working.

No comments: