Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Last Pre-Natal Class

The stupid chick wasn't there, so that made it nice. We also got our certificate of achievement to show that we were there for all 6 classes.

I wasn't sure how useful the class was going to be last night. The first 4 classes were all about labor and delivery and that was key information. Last week was all about breast-feeding, also critical information. And last night was on the transition from hospital to home. Mark has already done that twice and both kids are still alive, so I felt good about our odds. But the class was actually very useful.

The teacher gave us some basic info on taking care of the baby. And some more advanced info on how to not be peed on by a boy baby, how to fold the diaper so that it doesn't rub against his cord stump, and how to buritto the baby up to keep him calm. I also learned that the new recommendation is that you give a baby a pacifier when you put them into bed because it helps reduce the chance of SIDS. Apparently if they are sucking then they are not in such a deep sleep and it helps to keep them alive. We also learned more about jaundice and some other potential issues and how to deal with them.

Another key set of info from last night's class was information on how to take care of myself after giving birth. Lots of good tips there on how to deal with the after effects of giving birth. I like to feel prepared!

I am really pleased with our teacher and how she organized the class. I think it was time and money well spent. And super duper thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped out with the kids so that Mark and I were able to go together.

I was really tired last night before and after the class. And I got into bed and felt wide awake. Not cool. Today I feel very tired, very cranky, and very not into being at work. I have a ton of meetings before I can escape and I feel like I have a lot of things that require me to use my brain and lot a lot of brains available to devote to the tasks at hand. I did manage to vote this morning and I got both kids off to school on time (Tuesdays are extra complex because J has a French class at 7.45 on Tuesdays). I have no after work commitments today (M will take both kids to MyGym tho so I will have an hour at home by myself) so I am looking forward to being able to go home and rest and relax.

Max is very active this morning so I guess he is feeling no ill effects from my lack of sleep.

Chloe decided last night that instead of sleeping near my feet or Mark's feet she had to sleep between us. Actually it would be more accurate to say she was sleeping between Max and Mark. She was right up next to Max all night long. It was a little funny to hear her purring and to feel Max kicking around.

And now, time to try to pull myself together to be useful at work...

1 comment:

mmmqq said...

*laughing* My friend Aimee's cat is very protective of her 10-week old daughter. Maybe Chloe will babysit for you guys! :)