Thursday, January 17, 2008

31 Weeks

My unofficial weigh in today has me up 10.5 pounds. The goal was to be up 11 pounds next Thursday at my doctor's appointment. So I seem to be well on my way to meeting that target.

After Tuesday's extreme exhaustion followed by a baby growth spurt, Max and I seem to be back to living in harmony. I'm having trouble getting comfortable at night because of his weight, but I'm hopeful I can find a position that will work for me. I seem to have slept pretty well last night after I fell asleep, so here's hoping it is just a matter of falling asleep that first time. He is still very active, sometimes when I am trying to fall asleep. He sometimes kicks gently, but most of the kicks are now obvious to the eyes of an observer.

Today is very snowy. It is so beautiful. But it also makes me happy that I am a part time teleworker who doesn't have to travel into DC today for a meeting. :) I am very lucky indeed.

Here's the 31 week scoop:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment/31weeks/
Your baby's arms, legs and body continue to fill out -- and they are finally proportional in size to her head. She weighs about 3.3 pounds/1.5 kilograms and looks more like a newborn. She measures about 16 inches/ 41 centimetres from crown to toe.
You may notice your baby isn't moving around as much. Don't worry; she's just running out of space in your uterus. As long as you can feel her squirming, you'll know she's just fine. Believe it or not, she still has plenty of growing to do. You can expect her to gain at least two more pounds/900 grams before delivery. Your baby's organs are continuing to mature and she is passing water from her bladder: good practice for the urinating she'll do after she's born. Soon you can wonder what your baby is wishing for -- brain scans have shown that fetuses have periods of dream sleep around month eight.

http://www.pregnancy.org/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment3.php#week31

The rate of physical growth slows down just a bit, but even though she doesn't get much longer, she will gain a lot of weight the rest of the pregnancy.
Fat continues accumulating. This layer of fat turns her skin from red to the rosy pink she will have as a newborn.
Calcium, phosphorus and iron are being stored and his bones are growing and hardening.
Your baby is 16.2 inches (41.1cm) long and weighs 3.3 pounds (1502gm)
His brain enters another period of rapid growth, producing hundreds of billions of new nerve cells! Amazing!
She may move to the rhythm of music. Studies with heart rates show that she also prefers some types of music to others -- already!
Lungs are the only major organ left to complete development. Remember, that while you may be anxious to meet your little one that these last few weeks can be vital - with each day increasing your baby's ability to breathe on her own.

No comments: